The square, commonly called “the Scale Place” by old-timers due to the Town Scale House placed there in 1878, used to be rather large – it reached as far as Rokycanova Street – but the area diminished due to extensive construction. The new buildings included a power plant which was in operation from 1889 in building no. 650 and provided the light for those streets, households and business establishments of Žižkov that could afford it. It was Bohemia’s first public power plant.
There was a chocolate factory in Žižkov from 1919 with an ad still visible from Vítkov. The founder and owner was Eduard Řezníček, whose name gave the factory its name – Rezniček EDUArd. In the 1920’s, he had about 50 people working for him and the plant prospered. He bought the whole building in 1926 and Redua operated until it was nationalised in 1949. The building still exists in the yard of house no. 3 on Koněvova Street – this means it is only visible from the way up Vítkov.
The power plant was launched on November 1, 1889 with Mr. Choděra appointed the Head Installer. From December 1, 1889, Žižkov had regular electric lighting. In 1923, the Prague power plants produced 82,414 MWh of which the Žižkov one delivered 256 MWh for the following prices: From 1921, light power cost CZK 3.60 per kWh and motor power CZK 2 per kWh. In 1924, the power plant celebrated its 35th anniversary but the end was nigh. The decision on the new location of the Žižkov market hall to be established and situated in the old power plant house was finally passed at the end of August 1927.