The Square was named in 1875 in commemoration of the Compacts of Basel. The sumptuous building in the upper half of the Square has been the home of the Žižkov Town Hall since 1890. The building was designed by architect Jan Šimáček as a dignified seat for the administration of a dynamically developing independent township. The central part of the Square is dedicated to a statue of Karel Havlíček Borovsk7 by sculptor Josef Strachovský, cast by the Mašek metallurgic plant in Karlín. The Square has been called Havlíčkovo since its unveiling in 1911. During the Nazi occupation, the statue was destroyed but a new cast was made and re-installed in 1946.