Per §2 of the Trades and Small Business law, a trade is a continuous (non-occasional) business activity, carried out independently, in the name of oneself, at one owns responsibility and risk, for the purpose of making a profit and according to the conditions set forth in the Trades and Small Businesses Law. The Department of Trades and small Businesses is comprised of three sections – the Administrative section (notification about starting a trade or small business, concessions and permits), a Supervision section (inspection, enforcement and sanctions and penalties) and a Registry section (registry listings and Certificates of Registration as an agricultural entrepreneur).
Address: Lipanská 14, Praha 3, tel. 222 116 418
Office hours: Monday, Wednesday: 8am – 12noon, 1pm – 5.30pm.
When to go to the Administrative Section (on the 3rd floor at the address above)?
- Here you can give notification (announce that you are a tradesman or have a small business), or you can apply for a concession if one is needed.
- Furthermore, you must inform this Section about any changes or amendments to the documents you needed when you gave notification, at most 15 days from the date of such changes. This does not apply to changes already noted in the basic registries, in the Commerce registry or in the database of residents.
- The Administrative Section also handles termination of a trade or small business permit at the tradesperson's own request, as well as the continuation (or termination) of a business upon the death of the tradesperson.
When to go to the Supervision Section (at the address above on the 2nd floor)?
- Of your own initiative, in case you need to start an inquiry, whether a tradesperson or small business is complying with the requirements imposed by law 455/1991 Sb., on entrepreneurs, trades and small businesses and the related regulations, or in case you need to clarify your duties as a tradesperson or small business owner with respect to official authorities and audits.
- Of your own accord – if you were an official representative in the sense of §11 of law 455/1991 Sb., on trades and small businesses, and intend inform the Section that this is no longer the case.The above two submissions can also be made in writing by mail.
- When officially summoned – in all cases when you are summoned to provide an explanation, to be audited, to provide testimony as a witness, when you are a party to misconduct proceedings, etc., whereby a notice/warning about the consequences of ignoring the summons (not appearing without providing an appropriate excuse) can always be found in the Summons you received.
Recommendation: arrange the receipt and handling of mail addressed to you so that you are aware of the summons in time and have time to act on the matter.
When to go to the Registry Section (on the 4th floor at the above address)?
- If you are asking for a listing of the Trades and Small Business Registry.
- To notify the Section that you are suspending or resuming of you trade or small business activities.
- To give notification about starting or ending activity at a business location.
New Queue Management System
The Department of Trades and Small Businesses has extended the queue management system. There is a newly installed queue management system on the 3rd floor in Lipanská 14 building. Counters are newly arranged as follows: 2nd floor – counters 1 – 5, 3rd floor – counters 6 – 8.
When the client has selected the desired service on the self-service kiosk, the kiosk panel will print the client a ticket and afterwards the client will be directed to the appropriate counter where the client will be attended.
- In case the client is on the 2nd floor and the queue management system displays a number of the counter which is situated on the 3rd floor, the counter information panel will display the number of counter with an upwards arrow – example: “6 ↑“– the client then should go up to the counter number 6 situated on the third floor where the client will be attended.
- In case the client will be on the 3rd floor and the queue management system displays a number of the counter which is situated on the 2nd floor, the counter information panel will display the number of counter with a downwards arrow – example: “ 3 ↓“– the client will be attended on the second floor, counter 3.